We offer Courtesy Pay as a second line of defense, covering overdrafts only when free overdraft protection isn’t available.
Your first line of defense in covering overdrafts should always be free Overdraft Protection which uses available funds from another account (Tiered Savings or Visa®) to pay the transaction. If you haven’t set that up yet, it’s easy to do by giving us a call or visiting a branch.
What is Courtesy Pay?
In the event that your account becomes inadvertently overdrawn, your checks, electronic debits, and ACH payments may be paid by SF Fire Credit Union. Checking accounts with direct deposit have a Courtesy Pay limit of $750, and those without it have a limit of $500.
Are there fees associated with Courtesy Pay?
There is a $25 fee, but only when an overdraft that takes your account negative more than $10 – and you’ll never be charged the fee more than once per day, regardless of how many transactions occur.
Why should You Opt-In?
Allowing us to cover transactions using Courtesy Pay has many benefits, including:
- Helps to protect your good credit rating by ensuring that payments are made
- Avoids the inconvenience and fees associated with returned checks
- Prevents the embarrassment of declined debit card transactions
What Happens if You Don’t Opt-In?
Overdraft transactions that aren’t covered by free overdraft protection will be declined.
How can You Opt-In?
- Visit a branch: 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Pacific) Monday – Friday
8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Pacific) Saturday
- Call us: Local (415) 674-4800 | Toll-Free (888) 499-FIRE (3473)
7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Pacific) Monday – Saturday