Our mission is to work side-by-side for the well-being of firefighters and those who support them.
When SF Fire Credit Union first opened its doors in 1951, it was from a modest 10′ × 15′ office space in 17 Engine. It was from those humble beginnings — where everyone pitched in to loan each other money — that the organization forged its way of business forever.
Today we continue to pursue those same ideas and principles. The resulting value for our membership has been a shared level of trust, continuous innovations to products and services, competitive rates, and excellent member service. We believe this unique quality fosters a true sense of member-ownership and strengthens our bond with those whom this credit union was created for.
If you belong to any one of the following groups, you are eligible for membership at SF Fire Credit Union:
- Individuals who live, work or attend school in San Francisco, San Mateo or Marin County
- San Francisco Firefighters (Active or Retired)
- Firefighters in San Francisco, San Mateo or Marin County (Active or Retired)
- Members and Employees of Local IAFF 1171 – Santa Clara City Firefighters
- Active members of the California State Firefighters’ Association 1
- Family of SF Fire Credit Union members (Spouses and Domestic Partners; Parents, Grand- and Great-Grand Parents, Children, Grand- and Great-Grand Children; Siblings; Fathers-, Mothers-, and Siblings-in-Law; and the Spouses, Domestic Partners and Children of the family members listed.)
If you’re looking to join SF Fire Credit Union, you can do by following the links below, or by downloading the applications below and returning them by mail or to one of our branch locations.
Before You Begin
You will need the following information during the application process:
- Valid unexpired government-issued form of photo identification (e.g. driver’s license, passport, state identification card) Please note: If the address on your license does not match your current address, we will need to see a utility bill with your service address or rental agreement with your current residence.
- Proof of Eligibility to join the credit union (you must be able to prove that you live, work, worship or attend school in San Francisco, San Mateo or Marin County.) If your ID does not show this, you can provide a paystub or letter from your company on company letterhead, or for students, your School Registration or a Valid Student ID Card for San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin County.
- U.S. Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number
- Online Applications: Checking or savings account routing/account number for both funding your new account and your one-time $5 membership fee
- In-branch Applications: Cash or check for both funding your new account and your one-time $5 membership fee
If you’re opening a Trust Account, this account can only be opened in person at one of our branches, by fax, or by mail. You’ll need to provide copies of the Trust Documents or the Certification of Trust. To change an existing SF Fire Account to a Trust Account, you will need to complete a new membership application.
You can apply for the following loan and deposit accounts as part of the online application process:
- Tiered Savings
- Platinum Visa Credit Card *
- Signature Loan *
- New, Used, or Classic Auto Loan *
- New or Used RV Loan *
- New or Used Motorcycle Loan *
* If you’re coming in person and would like to apply for a loan or Platinum Visa Credit Card while you’re here, please bring your most recent paystub.
Note: Other accounts not listed above (Health Savings Accounts and Individual Retirement Accounts, for example) are not available for opening online as part of our membership application process.
Membership: Application Packet If applying for a new account with SF Fire Credit Union through fax or in the branch, please fill out this application packet. You may also use this form to add a joint member, or update any of your account information.
If you’re returning the application by mail, please send the completed form to:
ATTN: New Accounts
3201 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94118
If you’d like to return your application via fax, our Call Center fax number is (415) 674-4691.
Important Information About Procedures for Opening a New Account
To help the Government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. What this means to you is that when you open an account, we will ask for your:
- telephone number,
- date of birth,
- Social Security number,
- employer information,
- driver’s license number or government-issued photo ID.
We may also ask to see a copy of these identifying documents.
1 SF Fire Credit Union encourages California Firefighters to learn more about their local Firefighter Credit Unions: San Diego Firefighters Credit Union, Long Beach Firemen’s Credit Union, Firefighter’s First Credit Union, F&A Federal Credit Union and Fresno Fire Department Credit Union.