TO OPEN A NEW MEMBERSHIP:
You may apply to join SF Fire Credit Union by completing our online application.
For returning applicants, you may resume the application process.
If applying for a new account with SF Fire Credit Union through fax or in the branch, please fill out our form. You may also use this form to add a joint member, or update any of your account information.
If you belong to any one of the following groups, you are eligible for membership at SF Fire Credit Union:
- Individuals who live, work, worship or attend school in San Francisco, San Mateo or Marin County
- San Francisco Firefighters (Active or Retired)
- Firefighters in San Francisco, San Mateo or Marin County (Active or Retired)
- Members and Employees of Local IAFF 1171 – Santa Clara City Firefighters
- Active members of the California State Firefighters’ Association 1
- Family of SF Fire Credit Union members (Spouses and Domestic Partners; Parents, Grand- and Great-Grand Parents, Children, Grand- and Great-Grand Children; Siblings; Fathers-, Mothers-, and Siblings-in-Law; and the Spouses, Domestic Partners and Children of the family members listed.)
BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
You will need the following information during the application process:
Proof of Residency
The following documents are acceptable proof of residency (dated within the last 45 days). ONE document from this list is sufficient.
- Home utility bill (cable, phone, internet – does not include cell phone)
- Existing Car or Boat Registration
- Rental or Lease Agreement (signed by owner and tenant)
- Voter Registration (Packet received in the mail)
- Change of Address confirmation by the U.S. Postal Service
- Jury Summons or Court Order
- Deed or Title to Residential Real Property
- Property Tax Bill or Statement
If an applicant cannot provide one of the documents above, they can provide TWO of the following documents to satisfy the Proof of residency requirement.
- Cell phone bill
- Medical Documents
- Employment Documents (w-2’s, paystubs, offer letters)
- Insurance Documents
- Bank and Financial institution records
- Mortgage Bill (ex. HOA due statements, HOA master insurance policy etc)
- IRS or California FTB Tax Return
- A document issued by a government Agency (local, state, federal): ex. SSI award letters
- Original Copy of an approved claim for Homeowners’ Property Tax Exemption (BOE-266) form filed with a local California County Assessor
- School documents (includes Date of Birth), proof of payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education in California
- A No Fee Identification Card Eligibility Verification (DL933) form, completed and signed
- Letter attesting that the applicant lives in a CA shelter, non-profit entity, faith-based organization, employer or US. Government agency
Proof of Eligibility
- Valid unexpired government-issued form of photo identification (e.g. driver’s license, passport, state identification card) Please note: If the address on your license does not match your current address, we will need proof of residency as mentioned above.
- Proof of Eligibility to join the credit union (you must be able to prove that you live, work, worship or attend school in San Francisco, San Mateo or Marin County.) If your ID does not show this, you can provide a paystub or letter from your company on company letterhead, or for students, your School Registration or a Valid Student ID Card for San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin County.
- U.S. Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number
- In-branch Applications: Cash or check for both funding your new account and your one-time $5 membership fee
If you’re opening a Trust Account, this account can only be opened in person at one of our branches, by fax, or by mail. You’ll need to provide copies of the Trust Documents or the Certification of Trust. To change an existing SF Fire Account to a Trust Account, you will need to complete a new membership application.
You can apply for the following loan accounts once you register for our Online Banking:
- Platinum Visa Credit Card *
- Signature Loan *
- New, Used, or Classic Auto Loan *
- New or Used Motorcycle Loan *
If you’re coming in person and would like to apply for a loan or Platinum Visa Credit Card while you’re here, please bring your most recent paystub.
TO OPEN AN ADDITIONAL SAVINGS OR CHECKING ACCOUNT
- If you’re an existing member and would like to open a new savings or checking, you may send us a request through Secured Messaging in Online Banking, or you may call us or contact us by chat.
- If you’d like to open a new separate membership please fill out our Application Packet.
To help the Government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. What this means to you is that when you open an account, we will ask for your:
- telephone number,
- date of birth,
- Social Security number,
- employer information,
- driver’s license number or government-issued photo ID.
We may also ask to see a copy of these identifying documents.
Other Firefighter Credit Unions
SF Fire Credit Union encourages California Firefighters to learn more about their local Firefighter Credit Unions:
- Firefighter’s First Credit Union (LA Fire Credit Union)
- F&A Federal Credit Union (Southern California)