Individual (or Joint) Membership
If you belong to any one of the following groups, you are eligible for membership at San Francisco Fire Credit Union:
- Firefighters of the San Francisco Fire Department
- Firefighters who live or work in San Francisco, San Mateo or Marin County
- Firefighters who are active members of the California State Firefighters’ Association – OR – Active members of the California State Firefighters’ Association 1
- Family of San Francisco Fire Credit Union members (The Definition of “Family” is as follows: Spouse, Domestic Partner, Father, Mother, Aunts, Uncles, Nieces, Nephews, Brothers, Sisters, Grandparents, Sons, Daughters, Grandsons, Granddaughters, Great Grand Children, Fathers-in-Law, Mothers-in-Law, Brothers-in-Law, and Sisters-in-Law. It also includes the Spouses, Domestic Partners and Children of the family members listed.)
- Individuals who live, work, worship or attend school in San Francisco, San Mateo or Marin County
Before You Begin
You will need the following information during the application process:
- Valid unexpired government-issued form of photo identification (e.g. driver’s license, passport, state identification card) Please note: If the address on your license does not match your current address, we will need to see a utility bill with your service address or rental agreement with your current residence.
- Proof of Eligibility to join the credit union (you must be able to prove that you live, work, worship or attend school in San Francisco, San Mateo or Marin County.) If your ID does not show this, you can provide a paystub or letter from your company on company letterhead, or for students, your School Registration or a Valid Student ID Card for San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin County.
- U.S. Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number
- Online Applications: Checking or savings account routing/account number for both funding your new account and your one-time $5 membership fee
- In-branch Applications: Cash or check for both funding your new account and your one-time $5 membership fee
If you’re opening a Trust Account, this account can only be opened in person at one of our branches, by fax, or by mail. You’ll need to provide copies of the Trust Documents or the Certification of Trust. To make changes to an existing SF Fire Credit Union membership to change it to a Trust Account, you will need to complete a new membership application in person at one of our branches, by fax, or by mail.
You can apply for the following loan and deposit accounts as part of the online application process:
- Tiered Savings
- Platinum Visa Credit Card *
- Signature Loan *
- New, Used, or Classic Auto Loan *
- New or Used RV Loan *
- New or Used Motorcycle Loan *
* If you’re coming in person and would like to apply for a loan or Platinum Visa Credit Card while you’re here, please bring your most recent paystub.
Note: Other accounts not listed above (Health Savings Accounts and Individual Retirement Accounts, for example) are not available for opening online as part of our membership application process.
1 San Francisco Fire Credit Union encourages California Firefighters to learn more about their local Firefighter Credit Unions: San Diego Firefighters Credit Union, Long Beach Firemen’s Credit Union, Los Angeles Firemen’s Credit Union, F&A Federal Credit Union and Fresno Fire Department Credit Union.