Membership Eligibility - Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What do I need to open an account with San Francisco Fire Credit Union?
A: You will need the following:
- Your Social Security Number
- Your checking or savings account routing/account number for funding your application from an external account
- Your employer’s name, address, and phone number
- Government Issued Photo Identification (e.g. driver’s license, passport, etc)
- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident to apply
- If you are not a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Resident Alien and do not have this information, we will be unable to enroll you online. Please visit one of our branches for assistance.
Q: Is my online application secure?
A: Yes. You will need to use a compatible browser (Internet Explorer 6 or above; Firefox 2 or above; Safari 2 or above) using 128-bit encryption.
- San Francisco Fire Credit Union uses encryption for online security. Encryption technology helps provide secure transmission of information along the Internet by encoding the transmitted data using a mathematical formula to scramble the data. Without a corresponding “decoder”, the transmission would look like nonsense text and would be unusable.
- Encryption technology can be used for a host of applications, including electronic commerce – sending credit card numbers for orders or transmitting account information, e-mail messages and sensitive documents.
- Encryption is utilized with the transmission of data from one party to another. The sender encodes the data by scrambling it and then sends it on. The receiver must decode the data with the correct “decoder” in order to read and use it. The effectiveness (or level of security) for encryption is measured in terms of how long the key is – the longer the key, the longer it would take for someone without the correct “decoder” to break the code. The length of the key is measured in bits (e.g., 40-bit encryption, the level of encryption used with many ordinary browsers, versus 128-bit encryption, the level of encryption required to use this application).
Q: What information do I need to open a joint account?
A: You’ll need the same information that’s required when opening an individual account – but you’ll need it for both applicants. For details, select “What do I need to open an account with San Francisco Fire Credit Union?” above. Please note that each applicant will need to sign the signature card.
Q: Why is personal information required to open an account online?
A: Your application is processed subject to our ability to verify your identity. (For more information, select “What do I need to open an account with San Francisco Fire Credit Union?” above.)
Q: Is a minimum deposit required to open an account online?
A: A $5.00 minimum deposit is required for Checking or Money Market accounts.
Q: When is the opening deposit processed?
A: ACH transfers from your existing account at another financial institution to your new account will occur on the third business day.
Q: Can I open a Business Account Online?
A: Not at the current time. Please visit a branch in person or call us at 1.888.499.FIRE (3473) to find out what documents you will need to present when opening a business account.
Q: Need more help?
A: If you have questions or need assistance with Membership Enrollment and Account Opening. Please click here for Live Chat or contact us at 1.888.499.FIRE (3473).